Sunday, May 20, 2007

Cliches

I found out Thursday night that a good friend from high school was found dead in her house. I haven't seen this friend since 1981 and spoke with her very briefly a year or so ago, after not having any contact since sometime around 1988.

I'm not sure how I feel about this or how I'm supposed to feel.

While details are scarce, it appears she died unexpectedly, of natural causes. Although I have had relatives, friends and acquaintances my age and younger die due to traumatic causes, in my circle, she is the first of which I'm aware in my age group to have died of a non traumatic cause.

I'm getting older. I had a milestone birthday this year, I tease my husband about needing reading glasses, my parents will be 70 next year . . .

5 comments:

Eric Wittenberg said...

Bridgie,

You're lucky your parents are only turning 70 and still in good health. My father will be 87 in August. He's had quintuple bypass surgery, two subsequent angioplasties, and has been suffering from very slow-growing prostate cancer for years. He's getting very senile, and is very hard of hearing.

My mother is going to be 83 in September. She's had a heart attack, a recurrence of breast cancer, and has had both hips and a knee replaced so far.

I'm 400 miles away, an only child, and in no position to be able to help care for them.

70 doesn't look bad at all compared to that.

Eric

IamMBB said...

Yes, I am lucky. In so many different ways.

Anonymous said...

I don't know how to think about Liz either. I didn't know her as well as I think you did. I hadn't seen her since graduation in '80. Still since she was our age, in our class, that bell toll rings especially loud.

Yet, when I think about Liz, and I have no idea what she wanted in live and think about my own curious path, I do realize that while any of us could go anytime, if something did happen to me, I have few regrets. The challenge is to always live so that that's how I still feel.

My dad's 74 I think and my mother will turn 70. I do wonder about their health and care, yet I think our parents generation has done a lot to stay healthier. They exercise and eat healthily, well, my mom makes a point of that more than my dad . . . .

Liz's death has made this a weird week though.

rabiel said...

Brideget!!!!
I am not at all sure your mother would want you to blab to the "world" that she is almost 70. As for my age, who cares.
You will have a bit of explaining to do when we get to town.

Dad

IamMBB said...

Gulp.