Saturday, February 10, 2007

Go Google!

There I was, listening to Robert Siegel of NPR's All Things Considered extol the virtues of compact fluorescent light bulbs and fussing out loud to the radio about how CFLs aren't dimmable.

I know this because Steve's been wanting to replace all of our light bulbs with compact fluorescents. He installed a new fixture in his studio and equipped it with CFLs. I find the light a bit bright and harsh so was hoping to put the fixture on a dimmer when, to my dismay, I discovered that CFLs aren't dimmable (thankfully before I purchased the dimmer switch I had in my hand). I checked every CFL in Lowes or Home Depot or wherever I was.

So, I'm feeling pretty smug, thinking this is a pretty significant shortcoming that NPR is neglecting to mention. I'm feeling so smug that I'm planning out a blog post about how NPR's segment totally missed this very important detail. I poach the CFL image above from the NPR website and then, in a cautious moment, decide to google dimmable CFLs.

Lo and behold, they (there's that they again) do make dimmable CFLs.

Well now. Ain't that somethin' to chew on.

Not that I know where I can procure them. But at least I know they exist.

No comments: