Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Friday, October 18, 2002 P.M.

On the beach at Parson's Landing in front of a blazing campfire.

After Jerry's Famous Deli yesterday, we made a "quick" stop at Barnes & Noble, for over an hour . . . Then, we went back to Jeff & Chris' and lazed around the pool until Chris showed up. We followed her to Midas and had lunch at this awesome Italian grocery called Dominick's (I think). Great sandwiches -- mine caprese and Steve's prosciutto. Drove out to REI for bungee cords and drooled over the GPS V. Went back to the house to get organized for today and then dinner at Pinot Bistro. Yum! As Jeff & Chris say, the food was spectacular. I had ahi and monkfish. Steve had ribeye.

Got up very early this morning and were at Long Beach at 7 a.m. Our helicopter ride (Steve's first, my second) was very cool and much less upsetting to my stomach than a 2 hour boat ride would have been. It was cloudy but watching Catalina materialize out of the mist was magical. Took a cab to Descanso, walked back into town and shopped at Von's (forgetting all kinds of stuff). We had breakfast at the Catalina Cookie Co and walked back to Descanso. It seemed to take us forever to get loaded but finally we were on the boat to Parson's Landing. Randy and Ron motored us up here with a stop and a slight glitch at the isthmus. The campground people had us arriving the day after tomorrow with 20 people. But, no matter, with Randy and Ron's assistance, we got it straightened out and proceeded.


Randy dropped us off around the corner from Parson's so we could paddle in and get a feel for the boats and the surf. We paddled through some kelp beds and I saw my first few fish. We rented snorkeling gear so we should see lots more.

I really like the kayaking but my stomach is not yet convinced. Hopefully, it was the combination of the helicopter ride, the motor boat ride and then the kayaking but that may be wishful thinking. Definitely sitting still was more of a problem than moving forward. I neglected to bring any motion sickness meds so hopefully I'll be better tomorrow.


I really like Catalina. Our campground tonight has 8 sites but we're the only ones here. It appears to be trying to clear up. This afternoon I lazed around and napped while Steve boated to the north end of the island and back. Tomorrow to Paradise with a stop at Two Harbors and two nights at Paradise.


My first campfire on an ocean beach.

(not my photo but you get the idea . . .)

No comments: