Sunday, September 17, 2006

Inertia vs Dissatisfaction

You'd be amazed what opportunities exist here.

The catch is that they are very outside of the box opportunities which intimidates a middle of the road kind of person like me.

I'm sort of dissatisfied with my job responsibilities, though, let me be clear, not with my co-workers or my place of employ. I'm very appreciated and enjoy a position of much authority, independence and responsibility. However, I've been here for 7+ years and the problems all seem to be cyclical. Dealing with the same staffing issues and the same patient issues over and over again is getting old.

But, right now, inertia is a more powerful force than dissatisfaction. If I could get past my fears, I might be able to fashion a new direction. There's a physician in this area who would probably be amenable to a creative arrangement whereby I could handle his receivables while still doing those for my current office. This would have the attraction of setting me in a new direction while not totally abandoning my current employers.

I also have a personal recommendation for an executive assistant position that might be quite challenging and high paying:

Office/Clerical.


Executive Assistant Local business person is seeking experienced Executive Assistant to support Family investments, Foundation Projects (school/orphanage in Africa). The ideal applicant will have strong office and project organization skills, a good understanding of accounting, a high level of initiative, strong attention to detail, and outstanding written and verbal communication skills. Applicant must be independent, a motivated self starter and capable of prioritizing multiple projects while efficiently working under pressure (with a smile) to meet deadlines. Required to maintain strict confidentiality regarding financial and personal matters. Min. 3 years administrative experience w/college degree.


A friend of mine was in a similar position more than a year ago. She was the general manager of a lodge here in Aspen and was getting burnt out. She was good at her job, was paid well but was over it. At the same time, she couldn't imagine what she would do if she left. For her, things came to a head when she had to be away due to her mother's illness. She quit and was able to stay home for a short while because of her husband's salary. Options seemed to drop into her lap and since she wasn't encumbered by current employment, she was much more open to considering them.

While I don't have the luxury (or at least I don't think I do) of quitting one job before I have something else in place, I could still attempt to benefit from my friend's experience. It does appear that options are there; I just have to be open to them.

3 comments:

Writer Girl said...

You want a new job? I then suggest you should write a book on how to deal with employees. You have enough experience and you often dreal with horrible people with grace. You should write a book on how to deal with people in the workplace,paients, employees, and bosses alike.

Darling Daughter

IamMBB said...

"You often deal with horrible people with grace." Wow! Thank you. That's really nice to hear and not something of which I'm aware.

Writer Girl said...

Well, you do if I had your job I would have beem fired years ago because someone would be rude to me or my employees and I would put them in their place in the most forceful, rudest/meanest way possible.

Darling Daughter