Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Bad mommie

Oy.

Do I feel guilty.

I'm a mean mommie.

I've been getting frustrated with Rachel's tendency to sleep through her alarm. Actually, she gets up and turns it off when it goes off and then goes back to sleep. She doesn't hit snooze or use the second alarm that's built in to her clock. So, most mornings, I have to wake her up which I resent. She also tends to stay up late which makes it harder for her to get up in the am.

I've been telling her that I don't want to fuss at her about getting to bed at a decent hour so it's her responsibility to get herself up. I specifically told her last night that she was responsible for getting herself up this morning since it's my day off and I wasn't setting my alarm.

It's an especially big deal right now since she's doing the fall play and has play practice each Monday, Tuesday and Thursday after school which she can't miss. Detention for tardiness is either Tuesday or Thursday.

Well . . .

Her alarm went off at some obnoxiously early hour. I heard it. I heard her turn it off. Her bus comes at 7:42 am and at 7:44 am, I woke up and realized that I had heard nothing since her alarm. So I intercom'd her (hey, I wasn't getting out of bed).

She apologized. She begged. She cried.

But I played the hard-ass and said no, I won't drive you to school.

She slammed the door on the way out to catch the city bus which would make her a half hour late.

I felt so bad. I even thought about calling in an excuse to the school office . . .

But I didn't.

picture credit

No comments: